The democratization of technologies and the evolution of the current market lead us to reflect on our personal data practices. Today, this modernization of our working methods is forcing SMEs to stay up-to-date and competitive. The trust of their customers is at stake. Since November 1, 2018, in Canada, each company will have to disclose publicly the detail of any computer attack that may affect the personal information of their customers or employees. Also, they will be forced to inform individuals who may be affected. Therefor, at FXTI, this new law becomes mandatory for us to put security of the information of our clients in our top priorities.
What the law says?
- Data breaches that pose a real risk of significant harm will need to be reported to the Privacy Commissioner, and any affected individuals will need to be notified;
- Businesses may also be required to notify other organizations if they are in a position to protect affected individuals from harm (e.g. credit card companies, financial institutions or credit reporting agencies, if their assistance is necessary for contacting individuals or assisting with mitigating damages);
- Records of all data breaches experienced by an organization will need to be maintained and provided to the Privacy Commissioner upon request;
- Deliberately failing to report a data breach, or deliberately failing to notify an individual as required will be separate offences subject to fines of up to $100,000. In the case of notification to individuals, it will be a separate offence for every individual left without notification of the breach;
- Deliberately failing to keep or destroying data breach records will also be an offence, subject to a fine of up to $100,000.
What are the types of attacks that can affect all Companies, large as small?
- Several types of attacks exist and affect everyone. One of the most common in recent years is the Ransomwares. This type of attack encrypts your data and hijacks your business information. How can you avoid this kind of attack? At FXTI, we offer a complete solution and the latest technology to help prevent and track any malicious behaviors. The use of intelligent detection system and the complexity of your files rights in your network are part of the solution. Your responsibility as an entrepreneur is to make sure you surround yourself with competent people to modernize your cybersecurity. Our Cisco specialists will be happy to assist you.
- Phishing attack, one of the most used methods. This attack consists of sending emails to extract as much information as possible and often, hackers take advantage to slip in their email, by several different methods, a spyware or a door steal, a gateway to your system. Again here, prevention solutions are possible. Make sure your team is alert about this type of email, that your security system (antivirus, firewall, etc.) is up to date and that you are using an up-to-date and secure email system. Our Microsoft Office 365 specialists will be able to offer you a reliable and secure e-mail solution.
The vise is tightening and the protection of personal data has now become an ethical and legal priority. If you have concerns about the cybersecurity of your company, I invite you to contact us, we can then make an appointment with you for a free consultation in the greater Montreal area.
Source : http://www.gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p2/2018/2018-04-18/html/si-tr32-eng.html